Monday, November 26, 2012

No lottery magic for me

As some people know--probably not any of my regular readers--the Powerball prize is up to 425 million. This means that a lot of people are going to be buying a Powerball ticket for the next drawing. And there might be some people who even attempt to cast a magical spell to win the lottery.

I will not be one of them.

Years ago, I used to buy lottery tickets. And yes, I dabbled in luck magic during the first couple of years of my Golden Dawn experience...it was the monthly talisman experiment for me.

What did I learn?

I learned that my magic is not good enough to budge the lottery odds. Oh, based on my results, I can budge the probabilities enough to be measurable, but not enourgh to actually win the big prize. Or for that matter, even the medium prizes.

Maybe if I could be bothered to join one of those super-secret esoteric Orders where the entire Inner Order system of magic is still secret because it is so dangerous, I might get better results. But I am going to guess that even those groups advise their membership not to bother with trying to win the lottery.

Today, whenever I get the urge to buy a lottery ticket, I go and write an article on the lottery. For instance, I have talked about the ticket price of a Powerball ticket, and debated if lottery tickets make good Christmas gifts. My return for writing a lottery article is better than my average return from a lottery ticket (I used to buy a lot of losing tickets).

Now, this does not mean that I do not gamble--after all, I am a writer and an artist, who dabbles in publishing (mainly pictures of farting monkeys and badly written erotica)--it is hard not to gamble when you are self-employed. But I am better off spending any extra cash I have on...well, almost anything other than a lottery ticket.

(And if you want to buy me a lottery ticket for Xmas, don't--I would rather recieve a lump of coal instead...it is for a spell *wink*.)

3 comments:

J.C. said...

While I do on occasion when I'm bored buy a lottery ticket, I tend to go by the saying that lottery is a tax for those who don't know math.

Spell or no spell, magic or no magic, the odds are still the same. The only people I've seen win the lottery, even those who claim to use magic to that end, are those that play all the time. The more you play, the more you are likely to win, and I don't believe it really has anything to do with any conjuring of spirits.

Morgan Drake Eckstein said...

I tend to refer to lotteries as a tax on the people's dreams of getting lucky and telling their boss off.

You and I will just have to disagree about magic's effect on the odds...my journals from that period of my life are somewhere in storage.

J.C. said...

I would enjoy seeing the data if you ever find said journals and have the interest, time, and energy to put into organizing the information. My stance on the matter is based on my experience and observations of others. New information could certainly put my currently held views into question. :-)