Thursday, April 26, 2012

Debating what model scale to use

Vault of the Adepts Sun Wall color study 2000 MDE.
When I did my color study of the coloring of the Vault of the Adepts back in 2000, I kicked around making a scale model of the Vault of the Adepts. Blame it on my days of playing table top wargames (remember FASA?) & Dungeons and Dragons. Or on the fact that I used to build model kits when I was a kid.

Periodically, I revisit the idea. A couple of weeks ago (or was it a month or two?), someone shared a link to a paper model (insert tab Y into slot Y) of the Rosicrucian Vault as described in some of the older RC material. And once again, I got the urge to make a scale model of the Golden Dawn version (RC et AC) of the Vault.

I would not be the first one to do so. A few years ago, I know that someone did one for a Golden Dawn conference (I have seen some of the pictures of the model). And let's be honest, I won't be the last person to do so.

Given my strong urge to do so, I think that I am going to add it to my list of things to do once the semester is over. I am going to need something to break up the paying work (yes, more dating site adcopy). And I can always use the model for studying the movements of the Adept rituals.

So the big question becomes what scale to use. Should I do it index card size? Or maybe 1:12 scale (an inch to a foot)? Or maybe 1:24 (half an inch to a foot)?

Both the index card size and the 1:12 scales would be okay for just myself. But the 1:24 would be better if I decide to assemble it into a small ebook to share with the rest of the universe.

Decisions, decisions.

7 comments:

Andrew B. Watt said...

I think a small ebook would be much better for your future business efforts. But I would consider doing it so that you could fit each wall onto most of a page of 8.5x11" paper, and print it out at that scale.

I may have to do this myself.

zirdo said...

Here's a ritual for building it in your head

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/golden-dawn-group/files/Golden%20Dawn/The Greater Eucharist .pdf

Morgan Drake Eckstein said...

@Andrew, that is why I am seriously considering the one scale---it would help fit a wall to a single page.

(Oh, I just noticed that this post was my 93rd for this year.)

Deanna Bonds said...

I would lean toward what Andrew said. If I could print out one wall per printer page that would be a good size to work with.

Deanna Bonds said...

Any way you could distribute the model of the vault on painted velvet? ;P

Morgan Drake Eckstein said...

I can promise you that attempts will be made to do so. After all, the Singing Order of the Revived Elvis is a large market.

Mark Paul said...

Morgan, just remember the smaller the scale the larger the model. 1/32 is fairly large, when you go to 1/24th you are talking almost the size of the actual item. I have seen 1/16th scale models of historic figures and they are near statue size.
So just keep this in mind. No matter what scale. I will be interested in seeing the end result. Be well old friend.