Saturday, October 24, 2009

If you are going to get burned…

Earlier this week on one of the forums, I got to watch (read) another episode of When GDers Attack! I wish I could say that I am surprised at what happened, but I am not.

For a long time, I have been watching the community break into various camps. It is natural. Get three human beings together and you get politics.

At this point in time, it has not hit the point where I would label it politics, but it is getting there.

Basically, what I am seeing is the up-and-comers not living up to the standards of the old guard, and the old guard saying it openly and loudly. The up-and-comers believe that the old guard is outdated, and have not a clue. And both sides are dragging out documents to prove it.

Now, I will admit that when I saw what the member of the old guard was complaining about that I agreed with the old guard. This time the up-and-coming member had fallen far from the mark.

If I was to give the up-and-coming some advice it would be: If you are going to get burned, go for broke! Push the envelope!

The worst that can happen is that you end up looking like a fool.

(Think about it using both ways of reading that sentence. Do you want to risk either? If so, go for broke!)

If you do not want to get burned in the Golden Dawn community, you keep your mouth shut. Anyone who opens their mouth is leaving themselves open to gasoline and matches; or rather venom and criticism…gasoline and matches would actually be easier to deal with.

The old guard is being attacked for being respected and in a position of authority. Every young punk with a copy of Regardie is trying to prove themselves smarter than the old guard (or Crowley, Mathers and Westcott if they think the living old guard amounts to nothing).

The up-and-comers are attacked in return. The up-and-comers are supposed to be the next generation of leaders and experts. And if they ever hope to have any real authority, they need to learn to push the envelope and not be happy with the standard that is currently in play.

Full disclosure: Did you notice that I did not mention any names? The reason for that was it was different set of people last week, and it will be another set of people next week. No matter when you read this post, it will remain current if I do not mention any actual names.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting, this makes me both glad I dropped all the Yahoo groups I was reading, but also, I do wish I had read it to see what the debate was all about.

What were the main points discussed, Morgan?

Sincerus Renatus... said...

In my opinion in this instance you are referring to the "up- and-comer" received to much unjustified flak from "the old guard". In my opinion there was easy to see a basically common ground between the opinions; only pride and prejudice stood between respective camps.

I agree somewhat that the young "up- and-comer" in question often is a bit to cocky for his own good, but in this instance I can understand his perspective. The youngster has talent that I wish I had at that age. Sometimes the "old guard" must make allowance for the new generation. Hopefully the new generation with surpass the older.

In this instance the "old guard" is making the mistake of attributing the opinion of the "up-and-comer" to being that of a Neophyte proudly claiming Adeptship. I believe it's the other way around. The "up- and-comer" is seeing the symbolism of the Hall of Dual Manifestation with the eyes of the Adept having passing the tribulation of the crucifixion.

When I went through the Outer Order I didn't have that much of a Christian outlook upon the mysteries of the Outer Order, mostly pagan like yourself. But since becoming an Adept that perspective has gradually been growing toward an "esoteric christian" outlook. Some would call it "gnostic", I don't however.

May I please refer you to my own take on this matter:

http://gyllenegryningen.blogspot.com/2009/10/cross-symbolism-in-golden-dawn.html

In Licht, Leben und Liebe
S.R.