Friday, January 22, 2010

Tip for lighting candles



There are some problems once you see the solution, you find yourself wondering why it was ever a problem in the first place. For me, one of those problems were lighting pillar candles (you know the ones contained in the tall glass holders).

At one time, lighting pillar candles were not a problem. They used to make long wooden matches (a foot long) for lighting fireplaces. Now, it is a major hunt to locate these matches.

So how to do it without these special matches?

I have tried lighters set on high; needle-nose pliers and wooden matches; using taper candles. A lot of burnt fingers and wax drops have occurred.

Ironically, the best solution was so simple that I was amazed that I didn't think of it myself. During one ritual, I saw someone using a furnace lighter (gas grill lighter or fireplace lighter). I have been using the same trick ever since.

Lighting candles with this type of lighter (a lighter with a six-inch metal tube to extend your reach, useful for lighting pilot lights in hot water heaters, furnaces, etc.) brings a whole new meaning to the term "fire wand."

If you want to cut down on burnt fingers, wax drops and frustration, consider adding this type of lighter to your working tools.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I used to use one of these things, but stopped because the gas runs out very quickly and the inconvenient of filling it up all the time.

It seems to run out of gas at the worst possible moment.

Morgan Drake Eckstein said...

I will admit that I buy more than one at a time. And I will also admit that I see them as being disposable. I understand the concept of refilling lighters, but it would have to be a really fancy one for me to even think about attempting it. Those who know me and fire will understand my concern about safety here.