Monday, June 20, 2011

Most important Neophyte skill

One of the most important things I have ever learned is the ability to say the following:

I don't know.

It is a skill that I think that many Neophytes forget to learn because they are too busy trying to prove that they know something.

All the best leaders and occultists I know, as well as the best writers and college students, all possess the ego strength and the wisdom to be able to say that statement. It takes more ego strength and wisdom to say, "I don't know" than it does to attempt to bluff your way though something that you have no clue about.

My personal opinion is that the occult community would be a much better place if we had more leaders and teachers willingly to admit their ignorance. And not only as a show of their (oh so false) humility either.

Then again, maybe I am the only person in the world who respect people who can say that statement truthfully.

5 comments:

Robert said...

(Stands: Applauds)

Damn well said.

Unknown said...

Despite the fact there is no percentage above 100%, you get 110% agreement from me.
There is no reason to bluff you way through something as transformative as the Western Mystery Tradition, it's dangerous and can really mess with your head!
'I don't know' is something I find myself constantly saying, and the more I research and practice, the further from my previous knowledge I move!
Love your work.

Peace
MvdV

Unknown said...

Bullshitting well came naturally for me. Learning to say "I don't know" took years to master. It's definitely not the show of weakness some people think it will be.

J.C. said...

Indeed. I think this even goes double for those who are in a teaching position, or have their ego exalted with titles of "adept" or "Very Honored." I find those who think they know everything tend to stop learning and growing.

:-)

Unknown said...

I think you can tell if people are really on the path by how many questions they ask. In the GD for example it is impossible to know everything. If people say they know the system they are simply lying. What is strange though is if you are a grand pooh-bah of any group people look at you really strangely if you ask any question. It is almost as if students expect you to be the font of all knowledge and get really pissed off when you admit you have not got a clue.